Men and women suffering from hair loss now have several options for natural-looking, long-lasting hair restoration. Our Leawood office near Kansas City offers advanced hair transplant surgery performed by one of our plastic surgeons in a meticulous yet efficient procedure.
If you’ve been looking for a hair transplant specialist in the Kansas City or Overland Park areas, call (913) 451-3722 to schedule an appointment or request your consultation online. We offer complimentary consultations at our Leawood office for all cosmetic procedures.
Hair Replacement Specialists
Selecting a plastic surgery practice for your hair restoration ensures you will get excellent care and a superior aesthetic outcome. Associated Plastic Surgeons’ team of specialists are highly trained and experienced in hair replacement, and our Kansas City patients trust us for natural looking results and a comfortable, rewarding experience.
What Causes Hair Loss?
There is no single cause of hair loss, which is why it’s important to include a thorough review of your medical history as part of the hair restoration process. A condition called androgenic alopecia, commonly known as male pattern baldness, is the most common cause of hair loss in men. It’s a genetic condition that can be inherited from either the mother or father. Hair follicles on the side of the forehead and on the crown of the head are most often affected. That’s why hair grafts for transplants are taken from the back of the head.
Women’s hair loss is more often the result of an underlying condition, such as hormonal imbalance, stress, medication, or thyroid disease.
The Hair Restoration Process
Hair restoration has evolved to the point that patients can get excellent results that appear very natural and produce no visible scar.
Hair transplant techniques vary, but the basic process is consistent:
- Your scalp is numbed at both the donor and transplant sites
- The donor site hair is trimmed short to provide easier access to the donor follicles. This area is usually hidden after the surgery when the hair immediately above it grows longer
- Follicles are harvested from the back or sides of the head
- The follicles are implanted into the scalp in way that will naturally fill in the targeted areas
- Transplanted follicles may shed the new hair within 2 or 3 weeks. New hair begins growing back within about 2 to 3 months